Bacon Egg White Muffins
Yield 6 muffins
1 lb bacon (pork or turkey) regular cut
3 slices whole wheat bread
1 small tomato
1 small bunch fresh basil
1 small bunch fresh parsley
12 egg whites (or liquid egg whites)
Muffin Tin with 6 slots
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place wire rack on baking sheet to render the bacon. Place 12 slices of bacon on the wire rack and cook until half way done, approximately 15 minutes.
3. Liberally spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
4. Cut bread into small circles to fit inside the bottom of the muffin tin. Place a pint size glass bottom side down on a piece of bread. Cut around the glass to form a circle cut out of the bread. Repeat this until you have 6 circles and set aside.
5. Chop the tomato and set aside.
6. Clean and either chop of chiffonade the basil. To chiffonade the basil place leaves inside each other and roll, slice the roll in a perpendicular direction. Set aside for assembly.
7. Clean and chop parsley and set aside.
8. Once bacon has been rendered remove from oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
9. Wrap two slices of bacon around the perimeter of the muffin tin.
10. Add one circular piece of bread to the bottom of the muffin tin. Pressing down to fit the bread securely in the bottom of the tin and inside the bacon.
11. Add tomato, basil and parsley on top of the bread.
12. Add approximately 2 egg whites per muffin or fill until each tin is three quarters full.
13. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
14. Remove from oven and let stand for two minutes before removing from muffin tin.
Muffins can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.